Thursday, June 18, 2009

Mosquito Bite Contest

Last weekend we went camping in Washington while Jason had a race nearby. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring the camera so no evidence of our adventure exists except for the hundreds of mosquito bites we have covering our bodies! We camped in a beautiful, secluded campground in the foothills of Mt. Ranier and Mt. St. Helens. There weren't many people camped there. They probably knew of the hords of mosquitos that invade the area and stayed away!

So, we ignorant-folk set up camp in the middle of mosquito heaven. I'm sure it was entertaining to watch us sit around and suddenly go into convulsions trying to swat, bat, hit, slap, squish or just plain run away from the mosquitos. Despite our best efforts and after trying three different brands of repellant, we still were covered in bites. When there are that many mosquitos out, I think there are bound to be some who are so hungry for fresh prey they don't care about the repellant.

We decided to have a mosquito bite contest to see who had the most bites. I think Dallin won with about thirty bites or so. I lost count. I just know we were covered and could have easily made a dot-to-dot booklet out of our pathetic, bumpy bodies.

The kids rode their bikes everywhere along the gravel road and through the trees. There were plenty of small hills for them to "jump" over with their bikes. Dallin and Grant had a motocross race. They designed a course through the woods and practiced all day the first day. On the second day, they woke up and started getting ready for The Big Race. They finally lined up their bikes on the road and I overheard them "revving" their engines. Dallin revved his really loud, making a really great motorcycle sound with his mouth. Then he turns to Grant and says, "We're trying to see who's engine is the loudest. Rev yours up, Grant." Grant pauses for a few seconds and then screams at the top of his lungs like a little girl. Wow, I didn't know motorcycles sounded like that! Then they took off and raced and raced and raced.

By the time we left the campground, Grant had informed me the area used to be a motocross track and that they had built the campground on top of it. He was dead serious.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! Speaking of mosquito bites, Austin went on High Adventure 2 weeks ago in Northern Minnesota and came home bit up too! He started to count and just on his right side had over 100 bites so he stopped counting.It ws sick and I felt sorry for him!

    ReplyDelete