Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Ghouls & Goblins

Halloween was fun this year for me. I took it easy, didn't stress about decorating or costumes, and tried to go with the flow. It might have helped that I was sick during the week and I just knew not to expect to get much done. Or maybe I'm finally starting to mellow out.....maybe. We had plenty of leftover costumes from years past to recycle through the younger kids, which made the costuming super easy. I think Grant was the only one who wasn't completely satisfied with the recycling plan. He tried out three different costumes for each Halloween event he went to. Trunk or treat - Batman; school party - ghost; Halloween night - Chewbacca.


On Halloween afternoon we finally found time to carve jack-o-lanterns. I usually wait to have Jason home to help since he doesn't mind getting messy and he's more of an artist than I am with the faces. But he was working, so I braved the project by myself with the kids and actually enjoyed it! I didn't even freak out about the kids making a mess with the pumpkin guts, which I usually do. So, see? Maybe I really am mellowing out!



I took the kids to a friend's house (Tracy) who converts her garage into a haunted house every year. The first year we went the kids were petrified to go in and it took several go-arounds with them clinging to my legs and Tracy telling her husband not to scare the kids before they were finally comfortable. This year they were pretty brave and even Tracy's blood-curdling screams didn't phase them much. They love going in to see all the spooky decor and to try to find Tracy's husband, Rick, who wanders around in costume creeping everyone out!




We survived another Halloween--now let's see if we survive the weeks ahead with the candy monsters bugging me everyday for some of their Halloween loot. One of these days when they ask me how many pieces they can have I'm just going to say, "Eat it all!" and get it over with!

No comments:

Post a Comment