The dialogue goes something like this:
"Mom, can we get a horse?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"Ummmm, I don't think our city sized lot would sustain a horse, Mariah."
"Could we keep it at Grandma's house?"
"No."
"Why not?
"Ummmm, I don't think that would be fair to Grandma. She doesn't want to take care of a horse."
"Why not?"
"Ummmm, Grandma's not really an animal person."
"But I could take care of it!"
"Really? Who's going to drive you the fifteen miles to Grandma's house every day and night to feed it?"
"I don't know."
"Besides, they're really expensive to buy and maintain."
"What do you mean?"
"Well, someone has to buy the hay, grain, shavings, etc. And what about when the horse gets
sick or needs new horseshoes? It takes a lot of money to pay for all that stuff. No thank you, my dear."
"But, MOMMMMMMM........."
For years we've had this conversation. Over and over and over and over.
Horses are a lot of work and are expensive; and, horse riding lessons are expensive too. So imagine my delight when Mariah was offered the opportunity to have horse riding lessons for no charge! It was most certainly a dream come true, for this daughter of mine.
She's learning everything horses! From riding the horses, to caring for the horses, to cleaning the stalls, to working and exercising the horses. She is in heaven! Before school started, she went to the horse barn twice a week. Now she's down to once a week with school in session. It has been a wonderful opportunity for her to learn more about something she's dreamed of for years.
We are so grateful to Cassie, her instructor, for taking Mariah under her wing and allowing her to be a "shadow" so she can learn more about horses. I haven't heard Mariah complain once about anything related to her experience so far. She has completely loved every minute of it!
What an awesome opportunity!
ReplyDeleteMariah, How fun is that!!!! I shadow my friend who owns a horse and rides "dressage" I even give him a bath in the summer just to watch him roll in the dirt later. His name is Big Al and he is TALL. I sprained my ankle the first time I jumped off him. He loves sugar cubes and carrots. I'll take a picture of him the next time I go to the barn. Love Aunt Judy
ReplyDeleteSTOP your kids from growing up so fast!
ReplyDelete