...why parents get so emotionally involved when their children play sports. There's something about watching your child, whom you know and understand so completely, take the talents they are given and apply them to their best ability, and be successful!
For me, I've always wanted my children to play sports with the end goal of building their self-esteem and having fun. I don't care about winning or losing or being the star player. I just want my kids to do their best and have fun.
Tonight, as I watched Dallin and Grant play their first basketball game of the season (and after only one practice!) I was so pleased with their effort. Their personalities were shining through with each move they made.
Dallin: thoughtful and methodical, focused on thing at a time, awkwardly dribbling the ball down the court with every fiber of his being involved in doing it correctly, obediently trying to pass the ball to his teammates, finally taking a shot and making it, then unable to shake the satisfaction of success from his body as he stands mid-court for several seconds and grins at his mom for approval, completely and utterly pleased with himself.
Grant: energetic, scrappy, coordinated, eager to handle the ball, grabbing it the moment it is loose, dribbling down the court quite well for his experience level, then shooting the ball with style and a little bit of flamboyance.
These are my boys. Completely opposite, completely wonderful.
And here I was, on the sidelines, amidst all manner of parents illustrating their emotions. Some shouting, some clapping, some bossing, some whooping, some quiet, and me getting teary-eyed of all things!
These are my boys. My babies. And I love that they are growing and having fun and that I get to watch them do it!
That is wonderful Shanny. Just reading this I got a lil sumpin in my eyes.
ReplyDeleteI got on Judy's computer and found your blog. What a wonderful record or journel you are keeping. You are a great writer too. Your grandkids are really going to enjoy reading about their parents as kids.
ReplyDelete