Sunday, July 18, 2010

The dog days of summer do not exist

What are the dog days of summer anyway? I always think of them as being lazy, hot, boring summer days with nothing to do but lie around and avoid the heat. Maybe that's what kids do, but I can tell you as an adult, those days do not exist.

Over the past two months I have found myself becoming more and more occupied with... I don't know what. Stuff. Between helping my mom get her house built and moved into, attending end of the school year field trips, managing doctor appointments, fulfilling church callings, hauling kids to summer camps, and planning for holiday vacations, I have barely had time to breathe. I've been getting up early, staying up late, and busy, busy, busy in between. I've found myself being forced to have a certain tunnel vision in order to get things accomplished and not become overwhelmed by the enormity of the tasks ahead. It has finally been this past week where my weekly calendar has been as white as a snow storm. I'm enjoying the slower pace and the opportunity to catch up on what was ignored during the chaotic times.

I've learned a few things throughout this time:

1) When you feel like you have nothing to do, it is time to prepare for whatever might come ahead. Get the laundry done, clean the closets, and wash the windows. That way, when the storm of life comes unexpectedly, you are prepared.

2) When it's time to get the job done, get the job done. Don't worry about whatever else is happening, just focus so you can move on quickly.

3) Don't be afraid to say no. When your plate is full, you don't have to add more to it. Know your limits and just say no.

4) Ask others for help. Trust in the abilities of others to take some of your load.

5) Be organized. It'll save time and energy for the other tasks at hand.

6) Pray. It will all work out for the best in the end.

7) Don't forget about your spouse. They still need your support and attention, even though you're busy.

Remind me to read this post the next time I'm overwhelmed with life. I'm sure this won't be the last time I experience this sort of thing.

1 comment:

  1. I need to paste this to my computer monitor. Being busy seems to be my state of life.

    ReplyDelete