Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A January of Joy

In an effort to hold myself accountable to my goal of Finding Joy in the Journey, I've decided to keep a quick log of the things that have brought me joy as the days pass by.  Then, when I come upon times when being joyous is difficult, I can read these entries and remind myself of the things for which I am grateful.

Here is a log of my January of Joy:
  • Filming Grant as he shared the synopsis of his new movie "Black Friday", co-starring Waldo the Freak-nug (of Where's Waldo?) and Jason (of Friday the 13th).  In this movie, people are searching for Waldo (because isn't that what you're supposed to do?) but they don't really want to find Waldo because when they do he attacks them with his machetes [insert Grant's wild karate moves illustrating the attack].  Then Jason joins the attack and more violence ensues.  *Note:  We do not watch Friday the 13th movies with our kids nor condone the viewing of them to anyone.  We do, however, regularly search for Waldo when he doesn't have machetes on his person.
  • Starting a new calling in my church as the Primary chorister.  I get to teach all the kids under 11 children's music and prepare them for our annual Primary program where we sing the songs we have learned throughout the year.  It has been fun so far!
  • Watching my kids' faces as they gazed in wonder at the first snow of the year falling outside.  We only received a light dusting, but it was enough to make them excited to see their world painted white.
  • Watching Dallin start his basketball season and seeing his improvement since last year.  Then, rejoicing when, after five games, his efforts finally resulted in scoring a basket.  It brought tears to my eyes to witness his success and to see his coach, his teammates, and their parents, 
  • Seeing Karina be so happy in her everyday personality.  She is so strong-willed and determined--I'm glad that within her strength and will she also holds happiness and joy.
  • Reading this article:   http://www.huffingtonpost.com/glennon-melton/dont-carpe-diem_b_1206346.html.  I will be now be using the terms "chronos time" and "kairos time" to define my life.  Hopefully, I'll notice more "kairos time" because of my resolution to find joy in my journey.
  • Knowing that two fabulous women, whom I came to love and care about deeply, are now pain free and at peace as they passed on from this life to be with their Maker.  Sandra was kind, gentle, loving, meek and had suffered much in her lifetime, both physically and emotionally.  Her example of kindness and service taught me to be less "busy" and more giving of my time and talents to others.  Estella was strong-spirited, stubborn at times, fiercely loyal, and funny.  Her example of strength and friendship taught me to freely love those who may seem different than us but who need the love of others just the same as we do.  

1 comment:

  1. I loved that article too, though I don't often get that comment of "carpe diem!" when I'm out with my kids. I mostly get "are they all yours?" and "you sure have your hands full!" But I love her thoughts on the topic.

    Good job enjoying the journey! I'm working on that too.

    ReplyDelete