"Hurry up! We're about to leave for vacation and the house isn't clean yet!"
They stop and stare as though I'm deranged. Why, Mom? I see them question my sanity at this moment. They wonder at the significance of my demands.
No matter. I know the significance. I must push forward. Some sort of insatiated desire inside forces me to press on. It's my obsession.
As I hurry from room to room I'm overwhelmed with the chaos. The aftermath of packing suitcases for five small children and two adults is staggering--stray socks, last night's pajamas, random pieces of discarded outfits that didn't make the cut scattered on the floor of each room, the morning's breakfast mess on the table and dining room floor, a sink full with dishes, messy beds in each room. At every turn there is something to overwhelm my sense of organization and calm.
Mom, I'm hungry for lunch. Great. Another mess to be made and cleaned up.
Mom, I'm hungry for lunch. Great. Another mess to be made and cleaned up.
Sigh.
I just can't do it.
I can't leave a messy house behind.
It's an impossibility.
My brain won't turn off and the insatiated desire inside me for cleanliness and organization must be quenched.
I bark out more orders. Go clean your rooms. Get out the vacuum. Start loading the car.
It's a frantic way to begin a vacation. By the time we're driving away, I'm frazzled, tired, and certain I've forgotten something important.
But, it's in the return that I gain my reward. After days of trekking, driving, hiking, exploring, traveling, or adventuring, to walk in the front door and return to a clean and organized home is utter, pure relief.
Aaaahhh. This is what makes my motherly obsession worth it.
One day my kids will understand.
I am the same way! I can't stand leaving a messy house. I have to come home to a clean house that will then get instantly messy as soon as all the stuff gets dragged in from the vehicle. But at least it was clean to start with. :)
ReplyDelete