What do you say when your firstborn-superhero crosses over into a more adult-like disposition? In fact, she's so adult-like that several people we know (who have been gone for a few months at school, moved away, etc and return to visit) don't recognize who she is. "Who is that lady with the Richards family?" they ask. Then they realize it's Mariah! She wears my shoes, stands nearly eye to eye with me, steals my mascara, and uses my hair straightener. Is she trying to take over my identity? Maybe that's her secret weapon!
This superhero has a mental will and strength that is quite amazing. When she makes up her mind to do something, there is no stopping her. She has the ability to do great things just because of this one seemingly simple trait.
Most of Mariah's time lately has been spent developing her network of fellow superheroes. Socials, school activities, sports, dances, texts, youth groups, slumber parties, are all common areas of research now. Recently I sighed in exasperation as she asked me
again for permission (and money) to go somewhere. (I can't help feeling like a superhero booking agent and a loan officer, at times.) When she heard me, she said, "Mom! You said you wanted me to
do something and not be lazy. I can't help it if I have a life now!" It's true. Her superhero life is expanding beyond our little family and I have to accept that. Sigh.
Truly, Mariah has taken her superhero abilities beyond anything I ever imagined in one of my children. She is a superior student with talents and abilities that rise above most of those around her. Best of all, she is a wonderful person who is kind, polite, and helpful to those around her. I'm excited to see where she will choose to go in her life. I love this superhero with all my heart.
No comments:
Post a Comment