
....isn't it beautiful? I got three boxes of ripe tomatoes the other day (for free!) and so frantic canning ensued. I've never canned tomatoes before, but I took advice from several people, looked up the simplest recipe I could find, and got to work! I wanted to get them processed as quickly as possible, but after finishing 21 quarts of crushed tomatoes and still having a box left, I figured I'd branch out and try to make salsa. Let me just say that salsa is a lot of work. Chopping, chopping, burning hands from the jalapenos, chopping, chopping, watering eyes from the onions, chopping, chopping, stinky fingers from the garlic, chopping...... But once the pot starts bubbling, the smell of fresh salsa is superb. There's no smell to compare and it is wonderful!
While I was preparing the first box of tomatoes, I kept finding mutilated tomatoes which Karina had obviously been "taste testing" for me.

I'll say that I'm pretty much tomatoed out at this point. I threw the remaining tomatoes in the freezer to deal with at a later date. It was a lot of work but I'm happy to have tomatoes to use in the winter for sauces and such, and there's nothing like the satisfaction that comes with seeing beautiful jars of canned food sitting on the counter at the end of the day.
No comments:
Post a Comment