Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Pie auction

You know, stay-at-home moms have few places to really show off their skills.  I mean, we demonstrate our skills all the time when we're going places with our kids, bringing meals to potlucks, putting on birthday parties for our family, etc.  But when do we ever get recognition for our abilities? 

In our church, in our small Oregon town, we have an annual tradition called The Pie Auction.  The night before Thanksgiving, members of our church bring homemade goodies they have prepared and donate them to be auctioned off for donations to our local Cub Scout program.  It's quite a fun experience.  And, as I've learned over the years, it makes for good bragging rights when your item goes for plenty of moolah! 

Not that I'm in it for the praise and glory.... 

It's all about the scouts.... 

I think... 

Never mind, bring on the praise and glory!!



The last few years I've donated my homemade almond roca, which is always popular.  Last year and this, I made chocolate truffles which fetched $50 this year!  All in all, I think I raked in over $100 for the scouts this time.  It's a nice feeling to know people like to eat my edibles and are willing to pay for them!  Just a small amount of recognition for something I'm good at goes a long way for me.  It's a nice feeling.

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow, those look good. I'd bid $50 for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! Maybe you're in it for the praise and glory because you actually GET praise and glory for food like that! Nothing so scrumptious has ever come from my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete