Wednesday, October 12, 2011
Land Owners
It's official. We own 10 acres of land. I don't know whether to be excited or overwhelmed. For now, I'll be excited. Then, when I get overwhelmed with caring for it, remind me to be excited again, will you?
It has been a journey to get to this point. Over a year ago, Jason and I began making the plans to purchase a new home. I have enjoyed our current home but it is now much too tiny for our family. With five busy, young children and a husband with many business-related toys, I was feeling the undeniable urge to expand our space. I suppose I complained a lot, which led to Jason finally agreeing to look for something new.
Unfortunately, we couldn't decide on what to do, which house to buy, where to move, how big a house to look for, blah, blah, blah. It became a point of contention so we placed our ambitions on the back burner and continued with life (begrudgingly, in my case). I admit I learned some life lessons throughout those months--lessons I'm still trying to be aware of and incorporate into my being. They were hard lessons in humility and gratitude and meekness and obedience.
However, it seems maybe those difficulties helped lead us in the right direction, because when the opportunity arose to purchase this piece of property, we both agreed it was a good idea. After pondering and praying, everything continued to fall into place for us to move forward. And here we are. Owners of our own little (a little bit big) piece of land.
It is a beautiful piece of property--complete with trees and a pond. It has an abundance of fruit trees, berry bushes, and grape vines, which we inherited from the previous owners. It has much potential and will be a wonderful place to raise our family.
We bought the land from some friends of ours who's life path is taking them to a new state and on to new adventures. They will be sorely missed. They were the kind of people who make you a better person just by knowing them--true examples of Christ-like love and humility. We were fortunate to have them consider our family to take their place on their land and are excited and honored to continue the legacy of enjoying such a beautiful piece of earth.
For now, we'll stay put in our little house here in town. We have plans to build a home on the new property some day, but we have much research, planning, and penny-pinching to do until that day comes. Until then, we'll enjoy day trips to the property (it's about ten miles from our house) and maybe even go camping on it! Why not?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I'm excited for you guys! It sure looks like a lovely spot of land.
ReplyDeleteIt's beautiful. I'm sure Uncle Bob will want to bring his 4 wheeler and boat someday. (I told him it probably wasn't big enough for a ski boat) I don't think he believed me.
ReplyDeleteWow! That looks fantastic! I hope it's all you've dreamed of!
ReplyDeleteso excited for you! and jealous of all your fruit and berries! I have lots of great (not grandma-ish) canning recipes if you're ever interested!
ReplyDelete