Ahhhh, the yummy delectability of the cousin to the average, plain-jane, starchy potato--the sweet potato! When was the last time you bit into one of these hidden treasures? I'm not really sure why, but I just recently got the hankering to try one. I bought it at the store, chopped it up, and roasted it in the oven with some seasonings and olive oil. Holy mackeroly! I'm a sweet potato convert!You know, I think the sweet potato is misunderstood. Who knows anything about it except from the sickeningly sweet, syrupy, brown-sugary concoction people find on their Thanksgiving tables? No thank you. It could really use some reinventing and better marketing. Don't they have a Sweet Potato Association? Everything else seems to have its own marketing strategy: beef, cheese, high fructose corn syrup. Maybe we could start a Sweet Potato Awareness Committee and do commercials like the others. "Sweet potatoes. It's what's for your side dish." "I didn't leave Santa cookies and milk, I left him sweet potatoes!"
And who knew they were so good for you? They pack a HUGE punch of Vitamin A and also carry a good bit of Vitamin C and fiber too. So, let's hear it for great vision, better immune systems, and regular bowels! The next time you're in the produce aisle, toss a few into your basket and give them a try! All Hail the Sweet Potato! Hear, hear!
Bill got me into sweet potatoes last year. We like sweet potato fries.
ReplyDeleteHeaven will have sweet potato fries with ranch dressing to dip them in. Mmmmm, now I'm hankering...
ReplyDelete