She fell last Friday when she thought using a scooter for a stool was a good idea and it slipped out from under her. At the time she yelled, "I think I broke my arm!" But, knowing Mariah and how dramatic she can be at times, we told her to take it easy and we'd watch her arm to see what happened. It did swell up a bit and there was no doubt an injury; we thought it was just a sprain. We went about the next few days--icing it, elevating it, wrapping it with Ace bandage. She played two soccer games, went to school, etc. The swelling went down, bruising appeared and faded, movement in her wrist was good, but every time she'd bump her arm it would hurt quite a bit. When we realized her arm wasn't getting better, we took her into the doctor.
Sure enough! She had broken the radius bone (the big one) in her arm. Poor thing--she had been running around with a broken arm for days, which made me feel like the world's greatest mother. I told her I was sorry she had to go so long with a broken arm untreated. She said, "It's okay, Mom. It doesn't really hurt that bad." I guess she's pretty tough after all!
Poor kid! One of my friends hobbled around a broken leg for 2 weeks before he realized it was broken and not just a really bad sprain. Love the pink cast!
ReplyDeleteWow! We have not done broken bones yet at our house...knock on wood!
ReplyDeleteawsome now you'll be ambidextrous!!
ReplyDelete