Hello Wind:
I heard you today as you ushered in autumn. It has been a long time. I rather enjoyed hearing the rustling leaves outside my window. Although I'm not really ready for you to be here, I'll make room for your presence. Not that it matters anyway. You'll come when you like, regardless of invitation. Would you consider bringing in some thunder and lightning with you in a few weeks? I rather enjoy their company too.
Signed,
Still Wishing for Summer but Resigned to Autumn
Dear Son #1 and Son #2:
When will you start to get yourselves ready for the day without constant nagging and supervision from your mother? When will you realize life is more pleasant when Mom isn't nagging you all the way out the door? Is it my lot in life to follow you around like a servant, attending to your every need? Maybe so. At least you're a cute group of boys, in spite of your "deafness." But I would appreciate some cooperation every now and again.
Sincerely,
Your Loving, but Worn Out Mother
Dear Self:
Life is busy right now. Have you bitten off more than you can chew? Probably.
It's time to pull back, commit to less, focus on more important things in life like your family and kids. Enjoy the stage you are in; enjoy your babies. Have fun with them. They won't always be this age. No regrets.
Lovingly,
Me
Dear Rain:
Last night as I was lying in bed with the window open, I heard your pitter-pat outside. Yours is a familiar sound in this land of damp and soggy and misty and wet. Just as the native people of the upper Northern Hemisphere have very specific names for different types of snowfall, we too have specific verbage for your presence. Spitting, misting, sprinkling, showering, pouring, drenching, blustering....the list goes on. But my favorite is when you fall gently as you did last night--landing distinctly but softly on the plants and trees to make your gentle music. I'll try to appreciate you more; you often wear out your welcome. Maybe you could make friends with Mr. Sunshine so he could give you some days off every so often. It sounds like a great trade-off to me.
Signed,
Not Your Biggest Fan
Love your letters! Sorry summer was so short this year!
ReplyDelete