Dearest Kyle--
My sweet, sweet boy. A mother could never custom order a child like you. You are gentle; you are kind. You are obedient; you are good. You are content; you are intelligent. You are a joy.
You are a thoughtful, careful, meticulous boy who will likely do great and wondrous things in your life. You have been born with the characteristics for success. You quietly go about your way, hardly ever seeking accolades or attention. At times, I take you for granted as I am distracted by the challenges that lie in my motherly path. But you are never forgotten or ignored. You are always there at the end of the day for me to look upon, smile, and sigh with relief that you are mine.
From a baby to a boy, I have loved watching you grow and develop into even more than I expected. For all these years of seeing you content to be in the background of your busy, noisy siblings, I have recently seen a side of you that has surprised and delighted me. You are most willing to jump in and try something new--at times, even before your brothers and sisters are willing to commit. This first became apparent to me when we took a trip to central Oregon and explored places to climb rocks and boulders. You immediately began climbing, clambering, and pulling your way through the obstacles--all with a quiet determination, energy, and quickness that I hadn't before known was in you. It surprised me to see this part of you and I have noticed it in many cases since then. The determination in you is strong and willful--a silent resolve to not give up and to try hard to complete the task ahead.
I also see in you a perfectionism that may become a hurdle in your life. Trust me, as a fellow perfectionist, I know and understand the desire and satisfaction of having things be perfect and "just so". This attribute can be a blessing and a curse. I hope to teach you that, while it is wonderful to strive for perfection, it is best not to focus on it so much that it distracts or discourages you from moving forward or from being satisfied with your very best effort. I guarantee you, you're best effort will be more than enough.
There is a reason Mom and Dad call you "Smiles". Your gentle, shy, smile has warmed our hearts since the first day you shared it with us. I can always count on your smile to melt my heart and bring me back to what is truly important in my life. That smile is a gift to every person who receives it. Keep smiling, my boy.
Lovingly,
Momma

No comments:
Post a Comment