Sunday, December 30, 2012

A birthday getaway

Jason took me away for my birthday.  It was just what I needed amidst the bustle of the season.  We stayed two nights at the Governor Hotel in downtown Portland.  I love staying downtown and walking the streets. It's such a treat to get away from life, kids, and responsibilities and go incognito for a bit.


We bundled up in the cold (and the rain) and shopped in the various fancy stores.  We ate thai food.  One night we went to a musical production of It's A Wonderful Life, which was completely fabulous.  We watched from the front center row in a small, intimate theatre where the actors were about four feet away from us.  It was amazing to be so close and it felt like we were a part of the show.  They actors were so talented.  It was an honor to watch them display their talents. 

The next night we attended Michael Allen Harrison's Christmas Concert at The Old Church, which we saw last year as well.  It was wonderful and I enjoyed every minute of it.  This year our seats had a perfect view of Michael's hands as he played the piano.  He makes playing the piano look so easy.  His fingers dance over the keys with amazing fluidity.  I admire his talent immensely. 

I find it amusing that when Jason and I find ourselves out together with no children, what attracts our attention most?  Children.  We watch as other families corral their kids down the street, into stores, into restaurants.  It's fun to watch the kids and their reactions to various situations because we can completely relate to the situation.  We chuckle to ourselves as we see the kids laugh, play, and even throw fits.  I find myself appreciating my own kids and realizing that even their shortcomings are completely normal.

Anyway, it was wonderful spending adult time together away from real life.  I'm so fortunate to have a husband who spoils me and makes sure I'm taken care of.  I'm grateful for his attention and love.  I'm also grateful to celebrate another birthday in good health and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment