Thursday, December 20, 2012

Middle aged

35.

Why does 35 sound so much older than 34?

35.

Yawn.

Boring.

Why does 35 sound so "blah?"

35.

Middle aged.

Is 35 exactly middle-age?  Sounds like it to me.  

So that means I'm crossing a precipice.

Today the scales are exactly balanced.  

Tomorrow they will ever so slightly begin tipping the other direction.

As I look behind me, what do I see?

A family--two brothers, Mom, Dad.  A childhood--happy, secure, loved.  

A trial of faith--heartbreaking, painful.  An education--challenging, hard work, unforgettable opportunity.  

A husband--mature, patient, kind.  A family--daughter, son, son, son, daughter.  

As I look ahead, what do I see?

A family--growing, maturing, bonding, loving, succeeding.  

A life of service--for family, for church, for community.

A time to for me to fill in the blank________--for my growth, for my enrichment.

While 35 sounds rather non-descript, it's not just another weight on the scale.  For me, it's the weight that balances the scale and peaks the perspective on my life.  It's the point at which I weigh where I've been and assess where I'm going.  

And I like what I'm seeing.


2 comments:

  1. Happy 35th Birthday to you! Mine is just around the corner too, though I prefer to define middle aged as beginning at 40. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm more in the camp of 45 being middle-aged since I intend to live until I'm at least 90.

    Happy birthday, Shannon! I wish I'd said it yesterday, but I missed the boat. I hope it was a lovely, reflective day full of love. You are one of the best people I know and I love you to death.

    ReplyDelete