Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The sleeping game

Karina called home a few Sundays ago when she was visiting Grandma Barker after church.  She said cheerfully, "Hi Mom!  Grandma's sleeping and won't wake up!"

Hmmmmmmm.

I wasn't sure whether to be worried or not.  And, if Karina hadn't been happy about it, I would have started to panic.  I started to gently probe, "So, is Grandma playing a game with you?"

"No."

"Have you tried to wake her up?"

"Yes."

"How long has she been asleep?"

"I don't know, but she's still breathing."

"How can you tell?"

"I just can!"

"Are you sure she won't wake up?"

"She won't!  It's like she's dead or something."

My worry starts rising to a minor panic level.

"Karina, I need you to try and wake up Grandma.  Just push on her gently, okay?"

"Okay......."  Soon, I hear Grandma's sleepy voice in the background.

WHEW!  That was all I needed!

"Okay, Karina, let Grandma go back to sleep.  I'll talk to you later."

Silly girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment