Sunday, March 10, 2013

Letters to my posterity #3

I was browsing through my old blog posts the other day when I came across two I had written called "Letters to my posterity" to Mariah and Grant.  I had intended to write one for each of my children.  Obviously, since there are only two posted, I had a busy-mom-moment and forgot to finish my endeavor.  So, a year later, I begin to finish my brilliant idea of writing to my children.  Better late than never, right?

Dear Dallin--

My sweet boy!  Look at how much you've grown lately!  This school year I have seen you mature in many ways and I am so pleased (and relieved!).  You've taken upon yourself the responsibility of doing your homework every week, with little reminder from me.  You are discovering the joy of being successful in school and I'm so grateful you see that as important in your life.  It will serve you well.

I've also enjoyed seeing you grow in your confidence and willingness to talk with adults about difficult things that are bothering you.  You are learning to stand up for yourself and be unafraid to speak the truth.  This, too, will serve you well in life.

Did you know you give the best hugs?  You melt into me and hold on completely.  You are hardly ever the one to break the hug first--you'll sit there for seconds, minutes, hours if I let you.  I love those peaceful times with you, even if it's just for a moment.

Lately, we've had some fun moments where your sense of humor emerges and we interact as though we're both adults, not mother/child.  You make me laugh and I enjoy these brief glimpses into the depth of your  personality.  I look forward to more times together like these.

We recently had a truly spiritual, heart-changing moment together when you were taught truths about life and about yourself.  I was privileged to be a part of that moment.  I am amazed at your sensitivity to things spiritual and at the depth of your understanding when you open your heart.  Always remember Ether 12:27.

I see great potential in you, my son.  I think it will take some time for you to finally be comfortable in your own skin, but I know you'll get there.  You'll find your way.  You are strong, smart, loving, and good.  I am honored to be your mother.

Love--Mom



No comments:

Post a Comment